Bill Gates is one of the richest people in the world. He did so by founding Microsoft and making it one of the biggest companies in the world. Time and time again, all of the billionaires that I saw at the top of the list of the richest people in the world were people who started their companies or inherited their wealth. This led me to wonder, “Who’s become a billionaire by being an employee?” I started with /r/business and basically gave up when I only got one real answer. Just on a lark, I decided to try Quora and got most of the information for this article.
Here are some of the answers I’ve found:
- Michael Milken – “Junk Bond King” of the 80’s
- Eric Schmidt – former CEO and current Executive Chairman of Alphabet, Inc.
- Sheryl Sandberg – CEO of Facebook
- Charlie Munger – Vice Chairman of Berkshire Hathaway; investor and businessman
- Steve Ballmer – former CEO of Microsoft
- Roberto C. Goizueta – former CEO & Chairman of Coca Cola
- John Doerr – venture capitalist at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers
- Michael Eisner – former CEO and Chairman of Disney
- Michael Jordan – former NBA player
- Sundar Pichai – CEO of Google
So if you don’t have what it takes found a company, you can always try to be CEO of a company or be an exceptional basketball player! If anyone has any other names, you think should be added, let me know!